Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tribute to Mother Earth


With Earth day coming up, I've decided to dedicate my project # 1 to recycling or should I say up-cycling? I am still confused on how to classify this project:)
We are going to make an outdoor decoration using super marker plastic shopping bags and pom-pom technique. I've learned how to make pom-poms from my Grand Ma when I was only 4 years old and I am still doing everything the way she taught me.

Let's begin.


You will need two cardboard circles (I am using packaging material), plastic shopping bags, plastic rope, and a spray paint for outdoors.
The larger your circle the more plastic bags you'll need. In my case for the largest piece I've used 5-extra large shopping bags, 7 - large shopping bags and 73 - regular plastic shopping bags. Total of 85 bags to create 18" ball.


Cut your plastic bags into wide strips. Put your cardboard circles together and start wrapping plastic strips around. Starting on the outside, going through the center and around.


Keep doing it until the center opening will be completely filled up. That is your sign that you are ready for the next step.


Cut through the sides in order to get to cardboard pieces. Insert your blades between two cardboard pieces and cut along perimeter.


Spread two cardboard pieces apart. Tie your rope in the middle and remove cardboard pieces.


Trim any sticking out pieces


and you are ready for your final step - paint. Paint it outside using any outdoor spray paint.

Enjoy your creation and I have to think about project # 2

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your blog! Hooray for crafters who recycle and make things without spending too much :) I might have to do this project...I really love pompoms!

    ReplyDelete